Minutes
Minutes from Meetings in 2013
January 29, 2013

TOLLGATE TRAILFINDERS MEETING MEETINGS  Dec. 14th 2013

Jack Preston opened and ran the meetings in Jimmy Taylor’s absence.  Minutes were read and Treasurer’s report was given.  Our bank balance is $14,313.53.  The treasurer’s report and minutes were approved by vote.

Groomers report was given by Jess Thompson.  Not enough snow to groom but equipment is ready.  Ruckle Shelter not open yet because of the 4 wheeler abuse.  There is not enough snow to keep the 4 wheelers away even though they are illegal.

Steve and Larry from the Forest Service were present to talk to us about the trail work needed across from Spout Springs Ski Resort.  First Larry spoke to let us know how much our work as a club is appreciated, and needed.  Steve Anderson then spoke about the section where a spring has washed out the trail in front of the summer homes across from Sprout Springs.  Steve said to get it fixed the club needs to write a letter requesting the Forest Service supply materials (ie. rock and dirt) needed to fill in the area.  Buckshot agreed to run his dump truck and Trailfinders will pay for the fuel.   It was also brought up that another section of trail near there may need a culvert.  Bob Smith volunteered to write the letter.

The Board discussed a rides and events schedule.  Jan. 18th is the Ladies Ride and dinner at clubhouse.  It was suggested by Dino that we hold a Poker Run this year.  Jack asked for a volunteer to lead the Poker Run but no one volunteered.  Jimmy T has said he will do rides on the Hanford long weekends.  That would be Feb 1st and 15th, and March 1st and 15th.  Our membership banquet will be held on March 15th.  We need people to step up and volunteer to lead these events.

The OSSA convention is January 17th, 18th 19th at Mt. Hood.  Flyers and registration forms were at the back table by the door.  This is the same weekend as our Ladies ride.  There are about 30 ladies signed up, so dinner the Saturday dinner could be as many as 60.

New Business was requested first thing in the General meeting – Dino asked if the groomers could go out for bid on the fuel purchase.  Jess said that he has been asked that same thing recently and is looking into it.   It was motioned, seconded, and passed that bids be solicited and Jess has final say on the fuel decision.

We will be having a trail maintenance work party to put up arrows and diamonds.  This work needs to be done when there is enough snow to get to all trails.  If you want to volunteer for that service work please give your phone number or email number to Dottie.

Membership was reported on by Marcella.  We have 82 members paid as of this date.  Post cards with our registration forms will be sent out to people on our list who have previously been members.

Our Youth Safety class went really well thanks to the volunteers and the great young people taking the class.

 Jack reminded us that we have several Board positions up for re-election as well as Officer slots.  He suggested a committee to come up with people willing to fill those slots.  Bob and Connie Smith and Dwayne Hargrove were volunteered.

Sheriff Tim Roberts announced that he is retired down to part time.  He will still respond to trespassing issues and still be patrolling the mountain via snowmobile.

Bob Carrell reported on the lower trails.  On the south side of the highway about mile post 14,Couse Creek trail will be closed, according to the current owner/leasee Hancock Forest Co.  It was asked if we need to remove our trail signs and what is the rule on trail liability insurance since Hancock is not physically closing the trail entrances.  Dottie was put to task to call Peggy at OSSA about trail insurance and Andy Milar the lawyer.  It was agreed that a posting on the webpage stating we are not grooming or maintaining that trail this season would help with our liability. 

A Liability insurance issue also exists with renting out our clubhouse to outside parties, for example Langdon Lake and Forest Service.   It was agreed to look into the cost of a policy to cover these outside events so the clubhouse could get used once in a while.  Also, Tim brought up that those wanting to rent can obtain a onetime rider to cover the event.

It was motioned, seconded and passed to close the meeting and eat!

 

[minutes taken by Dottie Carrell]

 

 

Tollgate Trail Finders Meeting Minutes November 2nd 2013

Officers Jimmy Taylor, Bob Carrell, and Dottie Carrell called the meeting to order.  Minutes from October 5th were read.

Treasurer’s report was given by Bob Carrell.  The bank account total was reported as $14,952.15.  Outgoing costs include building insurance, electricity, phone lines, and OSSA member dues. Incoming monies were from membership dues.   

Minutes and Treasurer’s report was approved.

Membership Report given by Marcella Morrow – 65 members paid for the new season so far.  Our membership recruitment letter cost $114 and was mailed to everyone listed on the last two years’ rosters.

We will be having a Youth Safety class on Saturday Dec. 14th.  Kim Schwartz will be teaching it.  We will need volunteers to do registration and help with testing at the end of the day. The class info has been put on the website. 

Groomer’s report was given by Jess Thompson.  The machines are being finalized for the upcoming season.  The ’98 needs a part which is on order and it will cost between $3500 and $4000, with a total repair cost of $5500 and $6000 paid by OSSA.  Our fuel (diesel) costs are between $9000 and $10,000 – also paid by OSSA.

Trail Maintenance report given by Bernie Chapman.  We need to get a work party together to put up arrows on all trails but this will be easier to do on snowmobiles.  Dottie will post it on the website whenever we know that we can get to all trails.  Bernie reported that the power company had cut off some of our highway stop signs and he got them back in place.  We also need to plan a way to work on the trail across from Andy’s Prairie and the 2nd Sno Park, and across from Sprout Springs Ski Area by the Cabins. There are mud holes that need drainage.  We need to get approval from the Forest Service to do this work.

Mud Flats and the Lower Trails need a work party to put up ropes and signage.  We will meet to do the work on November 16th at the clubhouse at 9am and Bob and Brandon will organize it.  

Couse Creek trail at the bottom has been closed by Hancock Timber Company that owns or leases that property so we will not be able to groom on that North side of the highway.

New Business:

RE Powell has announced potentially discontinuing propane delivery.  The Board discussed options of other companies to deliver next summer and possibly buying our storage tanks.

It was suggested and questioned whether to keep the vice president position open to recruit new officers.  Jack Preston brought up that several positions will need to be filled Spring 2014, including Sargent at Arms.

A motion was made and seconded to close the meeting.

            [ Minutes taken by Dottie Carrell ]

 

 

Tollgate Trail Finders Board  October 5th, 2013

Officers Jimmy Taylor, Bob Carrell, and Dottie Carrell called the meeting to order.  Minutes from March 3rd  Board and General meeting were made available.

Jimmy announced president Ken’s resignation.  Jimmy will act as president and vice president until elections in March 2014.   Dottie asked if anyone wanted to volunteer to help with the vice president’s job, event organization, but no one raised their hand.

Treasurer’s report was given by Bob Carrell.  The bank account total was reported as $14,004.00.  Outgoing costs include building insurance, propane for heat, electricity, and two phone lines – one for weather station modem an one for groomer’s snowline.  Bob also told us that he has filed a non-profit tax return for the club.   

The weather station status was reported on.  All hardware on roof and inside has been updated.  The internet connection has been tested and changed.  The new camera did not work without broadband but we may use it soon if cell signal changes or use the new camera in a different location.  It was requested by board members to have the NOAA link changed back to weather projections from history.  It was also asked that Dottie totally update the Board Members list on our website.

We will be having a Youth Safety class on Saturday Dec. 14th.  Kim Schwartz will be teaching it.  Some volunteers have been collected.  The class info will be put on the TTF website.  If we have a ride scheduled for that day the snowmobilers will need to meet outside in parking lot.

Groomer’s report was given by Jess.  The machines have been worked on this summer. The ’08 has a new track and cleats, and the ’98 has had its transfer case rebuilt.  These repairs have cost thousands of dollars which is paid for by OSSA money.  Bob C. asked Jess if they still had to buy bio-diesel and Jess said yes they do.  Also, Jess told us the state may reduce us to only one cat groomer in 4 years.  If we were able to get a new cat they are now wider – 12 feet instead of 10 which could mean a lot of trail work.

Amy announced the Ladies Ride is scheduled for Jan 17th thru the 20th, Friday thru Monday since that is a holiday weekend.  Feeding the ladies and everyone else that weekend was discussed.  Looks like we may do a breakfast on Saturday Jan 18th if we get enough volunteers.  We will need to stop serving breakfast at 9:30am so volunteers can also ride that day.  A Ladies Ride dinner is planned for that Saturday evening in the clubhouse and Connie Smith volunteered to head that up.

Membership was reported on by Marcella.  Renewal cards and a club info letter will be mailed out this week.   

New Business

            It was suggested that we hold a breakfast on Saturday Dec. 28th.  We will need to post that event once we get enough volunteers. 

            Bob C. reported on some proposed changes to the lower trails.  The long way up (Shumway) on the south side of Highway 204 was asked to be re-routed away from Jim Malcolm’s cabin front door.  Also, Rose Manor trailer park on Lincton Mt. Rd. has asked for ropes to protect their sledding hill from riders who go off trail there.  The ropes were discussed as they are a hazard too.  Couse Creek has been in question (our lowest part of the trail system) as we were not able to yet re-negotiate a lease or written permission.  And the lower Cold Springs Loop will not be groomed this season because a land owner closed off his property.

            It was suggested by Steve Noirot that we be careful what we put on the facebook Trailfinders page.  Steve also suggested ways to get more members (Sno-Park signups and raffles which have both been tried more than once).

 

            [ Minutes taken by Dottie Carrell ]

 

 

           Meeting minutes from January 2013 meeting

The webcam and weather station system was discussed.  The weather station is over 20 years old.  Dennis from NOAA was asked about replacement cost and he believes it would be $500 to $600 needed to replace the weather station and $900 to replace a compatible camera.  While collecting donations for this replacement system we need to make sure and specify what the money will be spent on.  We agreed to have a goal amount of $2000 to include the third piece of a compatible computer.  We can report on our progress on the webpage. 

            It was brought up that we could bring in donations by holding a dinner or a breakfast at the club.  The breakfast was by far the favorite and it was motioned on and passed to buy food for the breakfast to be held on Ladies Ride Saturday especially with the Guy ride occurring on the same day.  Dottie will purchase food at cash and carry and Marcella, Rod, and Bob will cook with Jimmy doing everything else.

            Buckshot has been cleaning the snow around the clubhouse and we agreed to pay him $100 to cover his costs.  Dottie will mail him a check.

            It was reported that SnoWest magazine has run an article about Tollgate snowmobiling in its January Volume 40 issue.

            A 50/50 drawing was held in the General Membership meeting.  Carl was the winner with a total of $56 collected.  Carl donated his winnings back to the weather station fund.

February 2nd is our next meeting.

Meeting Adjoined.

            [ Minutes taken by Dottie Carrell ]